Archive for October, 2014
And the countdown begins… When I woke up this morning, I realized we were a week from loading busses and heading for Estes Park! Our time in Outdoor Ed will be memorable. Our students will grow in wonderful and unexpected ways. A HUGE thank you goes out to all of the parents who have been helping make this trip a reality. You have helped by baking, running the student store, coming up with great ideas for raising money, buying great stuff for us to sell, making bracelets, and so much more! Thank you! We really could not have done this without you!!!
Following is a wrap up of a few more trip details:
1. I know you are wondering about what time we are leaving, details, etc. Our 5th grade team is meeting tomorrow, and an email will be sent to all of you as well as chaperones. We are sorry for the delay… October has been a very full month!
2. Leah Hadaway is providing very cool West Ridge decals for sale. Proceeds benefit our trip. These one-of-a-kind beauties go on sale Wednesday at the student store. They are selling for $3.oo. I know you want one… buy quickly because they will be gone fast!
3. We have a few forms still missing from kids. Please know that, if forms are not in by Thursday, your child will not be allowed to join is.I will send another copy home tomorrow to those still missing forms.
4. We have raised $9,000 for the trip. This includes parent donations, PTO donations and the money we raised with student store, cake lotto, Kids’ Night Out, etc. As much as $9,000 is an impressive number, we are still $5,000 short! This means that roughly half of the parents have not contributed… This deficit will affect future chances of us taking this trip again. If you were waiting to send your contribution, please do it tomorrow!!!! We appreciate your support.
5. Thank you again for everything you have done to make this trip a reality!!!!
Our party is being coordinated by Susan Neef. She created a sign up genius for the party. The sign up includes help with food as well as help with games. Thank you so much, Susan! Susan is going on the trip with us as a chaperone, and I really appreciate her extra help! Please go to this link http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0c48a8a62eaafa7-halloween and sign up as soon as you can!!!! They kids and I appreciate your help. We will be spent after our time in Estes, but I am sure everyone will be ready to have a good time!!!
Thank you for your participation during our conferences. It was wonderful to see everyone and see how much the students have grown already. I have added a few pictures of our time looking for weathered rocks. Please check them out on the post above.
As always, thank you for sharing your children with me each and every week!
We we approach conference time, the students and I are going to be busy preparing for our time with you. We will spend most of our homeroom time reflecting, looking at dat and analyzing work. We will set goals and prepare a presentation for you. Please remember that your 15 minute slot is just a start. You will be spending around 30-45 minutes going to all 3 rooms and listening to your child share. When you come in to each room, take in the environment. Look around and try to put yourself in your child’s shoes. This will be a great experience!
We started and ended this week with a bang! We went outside for a deposition and sediment game. Ask your student about it! You can also look at a few shots I took of the kids playing outside. The end of the week was out first ever Kids Night Out! We got great participation from parents from our school. I feel so fortunate to teach in a community that helps, supports and is excited about our adventures. We continue to make profit with the student store and also with the cake lottery. Last week we made about $80.00, which is a great amount for 4 days!!! The word is getting out, so we might make even more this week. Thank you again for your support!
As far as Outdoor Ed. goes, Behavior Contract forms are due tomorrow. Please send it signed by your and your student if you have not done so already.
I am excited to see you this week. The days are long, but I am always happy to watch students share their best ideas and goals with parents.
What a full week and weekend! Yesterday, my husband and I sent our youngest daughter off to spend 3 months in Brazil. She has been in culinary school to become a pastry chef, and she has the great opportunity to go and learn how to cook Brazilian goodies. She is staying with my parents, and we expect her to have the best time!!! But, as you can imagine, we were pretty busy helping her get ready for the trip.
At school, we had a great start of the week, with Erosion labs! Yes, it is very difficult doing science labs in a modular classroom without sinks, but our kids deserve a great experience in science, so our location difficulties do not stop us from having a great experience! Please check the fun pictures I posted.
The rest of this post is dedicated to Outdoor Education news and upcoming conferences! Please read on:
Thank you to all of you who sent in contributions to the Outdoor Education fund. Out small pot of money is growing and we appreciate it! Thank you also for sending the first form due in last Friday. If you missed the deadline, don’t worry. Send it in tomorrow. And tomorrow we have another form due. Please send that in, signed and ready to go. Some of you, of course, are all caught up with forms and don’t need to worry about anything. I will continue to send reminders by email of forms that are due. In order to help with fundraising, we are doing several big events:
- Student Store: We are open every Monday and Wednesday from 8:15 to 8:30 am. Bracelets are big sellers! Thank you to so many of you who contributed materials so your kids could make the bracelets. This week is our homeroom’s turn to man the store! A huge thank you to Riley’s mom and Dylan’s mom for helping run the store with the kids.
- Cake Lotto: This was a brilliant idea from the Stimmel family! We are selling tickets to 3 great baked goods this week and next. Ms. O’Brien’s parent is donating 3 cheesecakes this week. Tickets are $1.00 and winners are announced on Friday (Thursday next week, due to conferences). We have 3 more bakers set up for the following week. Our class will be selling tickets for this also. Tickets are on sale every morning before school starts. If your child is NOT helping that night, he/she is welcome to come and participate by paying the $10 fee!
- Parents Night Out: We are hosting a fun night for kids so parents can have a night out! Flyers went home last Friday. We need 5 fifth grade volunteers to help man the night. Your child should have talked to you about this. If not, expect an email from me tomorrow.
Our time for Outdoor Ed is quickly approaching, and there is a lot to do, so stay tuned! We are working very hard, but we are so excited to provide this rich experience to our students!
Conferences are also almost here! Did you sign up for a time yet? If not, please send me an email and i will resend the signup genius link for you. Remember that you sign up for a 15 minute time, but you should plan on staying for 30-45 minutes. This is an open-house, student-led experience. If you need a private time with me, please let me know and we can definitely arrange that for before or after school.
Last but not least… Halloween is almost here!!!!! We will have just returned from Outdoor Ed., so I am asking for some gracious parents (or just one…) who would like to coordinate out party. I am looking at someone who would be able to create a flyer and think of foods and activities for the party. This will be a great help to me, as I will be very busy prior to outdoor ed and very tired afterwards!!!!! But we still want to have a quality time for all students, so please email me if you can help.
Okay… this was quite a bit of information. Thank you for reading it all!
Thank you for sharing your children with me!